Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > OTHER PETS > Birds

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Just a Figment...

Help Bird crashed into window....

A little dove flew into the window and stunned itself. The weather here is horrible (probably why the poor thing crashed), but should clear up overnight. It doesn't seem injured, just stunned, but I couldn't leave it outside. The hawk that lives in my yard was about ten feet away.... I read that you can keep them in a box with a towel and a water dish in a quiet place and let them go once they have recovered if they've been stunned. Does this seem like an ok thing to do? I think its barely old enough to be on its own, but I will admit I do not know much about birds. I watched for its parents, but they never showed up. Any advice would be great.

I'm putting up a picture now.

Last edited by Shann; 04-30-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 AM
Just a Figment...

Re: Bird crashed into window....

It is NOT in this barred cage anymore.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 AM
Regular Rattlebrat

That's what I'd do but I'm sure no bird expert. A few days ago at sundown, I had a nearly fully feathered baby bird fall out of one of my very tall trees...it didn't seem hurt but a little stunned/dizzy, and it was getting cold that night (about 40*) so I tucked it into a box/nest for the night, but unfortunately it expired before midnight. I know it wouldn't have lasted outside, but I was hoping I could help. Sometimes we just can't, baby birds are very hard to save...but maybe yours will be fine?! My fingers crossed anyway! (I thought mine had a good chance honestly, it even tryed to beg food off of me!?)

Last edited by HERPHAPPY; 04-30-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Just a Figment...

I sure hope so. I've helped younger doves before, but that was by either getting them back into their nest or getting the parents to adopt a new nest when theirs was destroyed... But I can't find any parents so I guess it's old enough? I feel so bad for the poor thing, but I figure its best chances are in the morning.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Good luck with it...I would have tried to help it too
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
RTB Aficionado

You must have clean Windows! Hope he recovers quick.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Just a Figment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCity58 View Post
You must have clean Windows! Hope he recovers quick.
I wish, lol! I live in NM. It rains for five minutes and then we get a dust storm. I never have clean windows for more than a day :P And the curtains were closed.

The bird seems better. I peeked in at it to see how it was doing and it doesn't seem as stunned. I will let it go in the morning, and hopefully it can fly! If not, I'll take it down to a wildlife rescue. They have taken birds I've brought in before. They will know how to take care of it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Just a Figment...

I'm very happy to say that I let the dove go just now and it flew away perfectly. I am so incredibly happy that it was not hurt. If it was, I would have driven it down to get help, but I didn't want to take it away from its home. But it's now sitting up in my apple tree, clearly happy to be free. The weather is beautiful, and should be for a few days, so hopefully it can get a little better at flying before our next windstorm.

I was going to take pics, but I didn't have my memory card.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Regular RTB User

That bird was VERY lucky. When I was younger, my stepdad took my brother and I to the emergency clinic my mom worked at. A little pigeon flew smack into the window and appeared mostly okay. Just shortly after bringing it inside it passed away though. Many times when birds fly into windows they die, I think because they tend to damage their necks. And that bird was, like you guessed, just old enough to be on it's own, or maybe almost there (Because they're still some fuzzy stuff on his chest). I think it's a mourning dove? IF it is, and it decides to nest in your yard and find a mate, expect babies three times a year, in the same spot. =]
2.0 Bearded Dragons (Bubba and Tweaker)

"There's a party in my tummy!!"
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Regular Rattlebrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shann View Post
I'm very happy to say that I let the dove go just now and it flew away perfectly. I am so incredibly happy that it was not hurt. If it was, I would have driven it down to get help, but I didn't want to take it away from its home. But it's now sitting up in my apple tree, clearly happy to be free. The weather is beautiful, and should be for a few days, so hopefully it can get a little better at flying before our next windstorm.

I'm so glad yours made it! You did good! (maybe he needs glasses?)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERPHAPPY View Post
I'm so glad yours made it! You did good! (maybe he needs glasses?)
Lol, just pictured a bird with glasses.
2.0 Bearded Dragons (Bubba and Tweaker)

"There's a party in my tummy!!"
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Congrats!! Hopefully, the little guy will live a long happy life. Glad you were there to help.
BCI - 4.0 "Thor", "Samson", "Mercury" & "Ziggy"
Yellow Anaconda - 1.0 "Cooper"
Normal Retic - 1.0 "Mars"
Tiger Retic - 0.1 "Diana"
Albino Super Tiger Retic - 1.0 "Aleister"
Platinum Tiger Retic - 0.2 "Marilyn" & "Miss Molly"
Platinum Retic - 1.0 "Kennedy"
Jampea Retic - 0.1 "Clarice"
Black Rat Snake (WC) - 0.0.1 "Stryker"
Sinaloan Milksnake - 0.0.1 - "Jesus"
Striped Cal King 0.1 - "Cleopatra"
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Colombian B&W Tegu - "Max"
Nile Monitor 0.0.1 - "Leroy"
Green Iguana 0.1 - "Gracey Jane"
Pyxie Frog 0.0.1 - "Freddy"
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM
I am an RTB Addict !

Yeah!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM
I am an RTB Addict !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shann View Post

Sounds like you may have some company now on cold and rainy nights.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
i never start trouble

Good job on saving the bird
Since you mentioned a hawk in your yard it got my sick and twisted mind working and gave me a mental picture of you bringing the bird back to health amd letting it go and as its flying away the hawk grabs it. Am i messed up or what but seeing things like that in natuer is so cool.once in hayward wi i saw a bald egale grab a beaver out of the water was so cool.
No on a side note so i dont sound like a total firt bag i once beat the heck out of someone for kicking a pigion when they were walking down the street. I only like seeing it in natuer :P
IS TO BE RESPONSIBLE KEEPERS
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Just a Figment...

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHenry View Post
That bird was VERY lucky. When I was younger, my stepdad took my brother and I to the emergency clinic my mom worked at. A little pigeon flew smack into the window and appeared mostly okay. Just shortly after bringing it inside it passed away though. Many times when birds fly into windows they die, I think because they tend to damage their necks. And that bird was, like you guessed, just old enough to be on it's own, or maybe almost there (Because they're still some fuzzy stuff on his chest). I think it's a mourning dove? IF it is, and it decides to nest in your yard and find a mate, expect babies three times a year, in the same spot. =]
Yes, it was a mourning dove. There are actually three pairs that live in my yard, even with the hawk being there. They just stick to the back of the house and he stays mostly near the front. He hunts in front of the houses. Because this guy was still a bit fuzzy, I was really surprised to not find the parents with him. From what I have observed they usually stick with the baby even after it's left the nest until it gets to the point where I can barely distinguish it from the parents. So I was surprised that the baby was totally alone still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhonaker View Post
Good job on saving the bird
Since you mentioned a hawk in your yard it got my sick and twisted mind working and gave me a mental picture of you bringing the bird back to health amd letting it go and as its flying away the hawk grabs it. Am i messed up or what but seeing things like that in natuer is so cool.once in hayward wi i saw a bald egale grab a beaver out of the water was so cool.
No on a side note so i dont sound like a total firt bag i once beat the heck out of someone for kicking a pigion when they were walking down the street. I only like seeing it in natuer :P
That was actually my fear, lol! Even though the hawk stays out of the back (I think my dog keeps him away) I just kept expecting him to swoop down. So that same image kept going through my head! And wow, about the bald eagle. I've only ever seen one in my life. I've seen this hawk snatch things out of the air, but he is pretty small. It's still an amazing sight though. I never mind seeing that stuff in nature, but I agree: when humans hurt animals it makes me incredibly mad.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Don't feel bad, my sister's Koi fish all got eaten by a hawk out of her little pond in her back yard...she didn't think it was too cool. Funny part is that she had a net over the pond that the hawk figured out how to pull away and got the fish anyway Nature can be deadly!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Resident Fruit Loop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stargazer

I'm so glad this had a happy ending. What an adorable bird. I love doves.

I was holding my breath because I've had such terrible luck with bird rescues (I've tried three). I used to take them to the famous bird lady in town named Katherine Hurlbutt. She was in her late eighties when I first met her, and 95 the last time I brought a bird to her, about 5 years ago. She devoted her entire life to rescuing birds. She never married or even had a committed relationship. Her passion in life was birds. When I first met her, she had a giant bird cage that took up her entire living room. There was a rescued raven living in it that she'd had for 26 years! I'm sure she is probably not around anymore, but I have her autobiography, which she gave me upon my last visit. It's fascinating. Truly one of the people that my life is richer for having known. She was never able to save the birds I brought to her - they were too far gone. In fact, the last one was a pigeon who died in my car on the way to her house. She took one look at him and told me he had been poisoned. So it makes me very happy your story ended well.

My boa could eat your honor student.
R.I.P The English language and the correct spelling of "definitely"