Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > Caresheets/Articles > How-to's/Tutorials

Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 AM
The Resident Morelia Nut

Egg Incubator from a mini fridge

I used a free broken 3 cubic foot mini fridge as the incubator. For heating element I used a length of Exo Terra heat cable that was given to me. My total cost was about $160, mostly due to the $120 Helix DBS 1000 thermostat. Instead of the heat cable you can use flexwatt. Additionally a larger CPU fan (120mm), or an additional small one, would probably be beneficial, I'll likely have to install a new fan in the future.

Materials (prices estimation):
screwdriver
screws/nails if building a base for it
hacksaw
wire cutters or pliers
1 front opening 3 sq. ft. mini fridge/freezer (it doesn't have to be functional!)
1 6' (at least) extension cord $5
1 18-24V power adapter/converter $20
1 roll aluminum/metal tape $10
1 80mm computer fan $5
1 Helix DBS 1000 thermostat $120
1 Exo Terra heat 25w cable $30
1 can of Great Stuff $6
1 sheet of egg crate $5
1 Indoor/outdoor digital thermometer $15
1 12"x16" metal baking sheet (measure your fridge to find the right size) $4
plywood or 2x4s to make a base (optional)
4 1" casters $20 (optional)

Total cost about $240 depending on available materials.

Step 1
Get mini fridge!!

Step 2
Remove motor, light, freezer compartment and anything else in the back and inside except for the shelves. Clean out the fridge with bleach and let it air out. Cut the bottom section off of the door.

Step 3
Run the heat tape back and forth across the bottom of the fridge. Secure with aluminum tape.

Step 4
To wire the CPU fan to be able to plug into an outlet you need to convert the volts of the fan to the volts of an outlet. This is where the 18/24V adapter comes in. On the fan, cut the end that attaches to the computer off. ON the converter/adapter cut the small plug that would attach to whatever device off.

(picture by Damon Salceies Albinochondro.com, since I fail and didn't take a picture of the splice)

Step 5
Attach the Helix and digital thermometer to the front door of the fridge.
Run the probes from both around the back and through the round hole in the back of the fridge. Lay the heat probe directly on the heat cable. I hung the thermometer probe from the middle shelf.

Step 6
Run the wires from the heat cable and CPU fan through the hole in the back of the fridge. Seal with Great Stuff. Plug the Helix, CPU fan, and heat cable into the extension cord.

Step 7
Place the baking sheet on top of the heat cables. I had to use the hacksaw to cut the edges down so it would fit into the fridge. Fill the baking sheet with water or water bottles for heat retention and humidity. Cut the sheet of egg crate to fit inside the fidge and lay on top of the baking sheet. Optionally you can cut small pieces of PVC pipe and apoxy to the egg crate to keep it sturdy.

Optional Base
I used a piece of plywood cut to the size of the fridge then attached a couple 2x4s to one side. Casters were then attached to the ends of the 2x4s. I like the base since now I can wheel it around anywhere I want!

You should be good to go now! Set the Helix to the desired temp and then adjust as necessary using the thermometer to tell you what the inside temp is. I will update with new pics in the future.

If you want something similar without this much work, check out this mini fridge-warmer for $100:
ThinkGeek :: Deluxe Mini Fridge-Warmer w/ Digital Thermostat

Anyone one who wants help feel free to contact me.

Kyle Finn
Ghostfish Herps
Ghostfish Herps
sales@ghostfishherps.com
Ghostfish Herps - High quality carpet pythons and boa constrictors
iHerp - Do you?

Last edited by VexalUntil; 09-18-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 AM
The Boa Temptress

Send a message via AIM to Sakara Send a message via Yahoo to Sakara
Re: Egg Incubator from a mini fridge

come make me one! LOL
Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Regular RTB User

Glad you posted this. I was going to attempt doing this for my Jag X Coastal eggs i should have this spring.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 AM
The Resident Morelia Nut

I remembered that I needed to update this DIY with some more pics.
Here's what it looks like on the inside. Eggcrate over the top of the cookie sheet being held up by 1" PVC pieces.

The splicing on the PC fan and the voltage converter for the fan (one the left). I twisted the wires together, wrapped each individually with electrical tape then wrapped all together.

Back showing cords hanging out of the great stuff foam

And the front with Helix thermostat and Accurite thermometer
iHerp - Do you?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

great idea since i just so happen to hav a mini fridge and am planning on breeding my oviporous friends. i will breed my boas as well but thank God that they dont need incubation! thank u very much: should work like a charm
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

It is so cool to see an egg incubator in action. It is incredible to see how successful an egg incubator can be. If you do it correctly it can be a great experience at home especially with a family. This is a very cool way to make your own egg incubator and I like it.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

having trouble with getting it hot enough and maintaining any advice
what is the purpose of the white egg crates on top of the pvc? is the top of the fridge the only option for fan placement thanks in advance!

Last edited by ccooper5910; 04-15-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM
The Resident Morelia Nut

The white egg crate is to provide another shelf for eggs without the egg boxes coming in contact with the metal pan and thereby getting too hot. The egg crate provides plenty of airflow.

If the heat cord it not as long as mine then it may not reach the correct temps. There could also be leaking around the door if the fridge is old and the seal isn't intact. Mine can easily get to 100 in the fridge if I let it go full on, so I don't know why yours isn't reaching the same temps. You can also use 4" flexwatt as a heat source.
iHerp - Do you?