Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > SNAKES > Colubrid

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Regular Rattlebrat

Re: Corn snake hybrids, can't find pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varanis View Post
.... and it would like a human trying to hybridize with a hamburger ......!
wouldn't that be a "humbull"???
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to telefrag

there are several cases that I have heard where intergenetic hybrids actually produced fertile offspring.
That is a somewhat terrifying prospect, but at the same time, it reminds us that we know alot less about these animals genetics than we thought we did.

That being said, before you even attempt snake hybridizations, you have to get good at breeding normal full blood species, that takes time, and experience all by itself.
Hopefully in the time where you are cultivating that skill set, your ideas on hybrids will mature a bit.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Marked One

Amen brother.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Regular RTB User

The interbreeding of snakes result in genetic morphs that are different from that of other animals. Some snakes do not produce the same genetic variations that one would think and break from traditional genetic beliefs. Therefore, interbreeding snakes might one day "shed" some light on how to save species that are dying out. On the other hand, it is very interesting to see what one can produce when breeding them. It is similar on some level to the interbreeding of dogs that has been done for hundreds of years. Breeding of canines helped to produce animals that are capable of helping humans in a variety of ways. Perhaps snakes will not be the workers that dogs are, but it might help people enjoy them more and become less afraid of them. This in turn could result in more people becoming involved in ecological and environmental efforts that will help preserve habitats. We use our animals for educational and informative purposes. It is our experience that many snakes produce stronger fear reactions. Lighter colored ones, usually do not. Maybe one day this information will help use breed smarter humans too. By the way, I am 10.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the robins nest View Post
The interbreeding of snakes result in genetic morphs that are different from that of other animals. Some snakes do not produce the same genetic variations that one would think and break from traditional genetic beliefs. Therefore, interbreeding snakes might one day "shed" some light on how to save species that are dying out. On the other hand, it is very interesting to see what one can produce when breeding them. It is similar on some level to the interbreeding of dogs that has been done for hundreds of years. Breeding of canines helped to produce animals that are capable of helping humans in a variety of ways. Perhaps snakes will not be the workers that dogs are, but it might help people enjoy them more and become less afraid of them. This in turn could result in more people becoming involved in ecological and environmental efforts that will help preserve habitats. We use our animals for educational and informative purposes. It is our experience that many snakes produce stronger fear reactions. Lighter colored ones, usually do not. Maybe one day this information will help use breed smarter humans too. By the way, I am 10.
Technically, interbreeding between species won't save a species. It will create a new one. In this way, it can't shed light on the situation to interbreed snakes. Yeah, it could totally be interesting to see what would happen. I have to admit, I would love to see a python mixed with a boa. BUT, I don't want to be responisble if it's like, the deadliest constrictor ever, or if I produce horribly deformed babies. I also don't believe the colors of snakes could affect someones' fears... A snake is a snake is a snake. And between people who aren't afraid of snakes, a constrictor is a constrictor, just like a hot is a hot. If you are ten years old... You may want to grow up before you start breeding animals. I'm 18, and all I breed are rats, and that's to feed my snakes. Snake breeding is obviously a lot more complex than I understand right now, and I'm going to be going into veterinary school sooner than I think. Slow down, think, and grow up a little first. Then make big decisions about hybrids, and how this may affect the offspring, or the ecosystem if an irresponisble keeper releases them. Or if a natural disaster strikes, much like what happened in the Everglades. There's more to think about than what sits on the surface.
2.0 Bearded Dragons (Bubba and Tweaker)

"There's a party in my tummy!!"

Last edited by MrHenry; 04-25-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 AM
Regular Rattlebrat

MrHenry, I agree with most of your post, but after years of doing educational programs with snakes, I gotta say you are wrong about the colors of snakes affecting ppl's fears: I deliberately took a wide variety of colorful snakes and it totally helps ppl admire their beauty and become more accepting of the creature as a whole. (Black or dark colored snakes, just like black/dark colored dogs, are preceived as more threatening. In fact, statistically, a black dog in a shelter has a smaller chance of adoption than the others! Nobody ever told me that...I have 2 black dogs currently, LOL!)
Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Regular RTB User

Oh well, I never heard that before. I guess colors just don't effect my fears. Though I do stand corrected. I've always admired animals that were darker in color, they just generally don't get as much love cause no one finds them as pretty as the rest. I think they're beautiful just like all the rest of the colorful species. =]

Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Regular Rattlebrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHenry View Post
Oh well, I never heard that before. I guess colors just don't effect my fears. Though I do stand corrected. I've always admired animals that were darker in color, they just generally don't get as much love cause no one finds them as pretty as the rest. I think they're beautiful just like all the rest of the colorful species. =]
Oh I agree...I don't care what color my dogs are. I've just noticed it's hard for ppl to be as afraid of a little pink/yellow kingsnake or a bright orange Everglades ratsnake or a red/white "candycane" cornsnake than for many other dark colored snakes. And research on shelter dogs bears that out with canines, I recently read about that (I volunteer at our Humane Society & I'm a life member). I can also "ooh & ahh" on here over ppl's pet pictures but my bci (darker in color, black & tan, and no red tail) is just as beautiful to me. In many ways I prefer the "survivors" that nature has established rather than the "designer" look.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Regular RTB User

Well, my current project is trying to cross a super soft bunny rabbit with a boa... Hopefully with a lot of trial and error I can get a cuddly soft boa that eats carrots... I will call it the Bobitt..
Here is the male:

And here is the female:

It is much harder than it seems...
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Regular Rattlebrat

Looks like their "mating" is going well, ROFL!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Regular RTB User

That's amazing. Good luck

Last edited by HERPHAPPY; 04-25-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Profanity removed
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Regular RTB User

Got some kinks to work out... I have to find another male, but I am thinking some music to get them in the mood... "Jungle Fever" by Stevie Wonder??
Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Regular Rattlebrat

Or "Jungle Boogie" if they like funk?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtinsb View Post
Got some kinks to work out... I have to find another male, but I am thinking some music to get them in the mood... "Jungle Fever" by Stevie Wonder??
Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I am an RTB Addict !

Hybrids aren't new species, they don't naturally occur (or very rarely), most are infertile, and they have less of a chance of surviving than either parent for the most part.

Remember that when you combine two different species you have no idea what the outcome will be. You might have a robust colorful snake, but you're just as likely to have a babies that received the worst traits from each parents instead. I've seen way more undesirable looking mishmashes than ones that stand out.

I'm not against selective breeding and I don't believe anyone here could say they are. If you can say one BCC from so and so is better quality than another breeder's I find it perplexing that they could say a morph is an abomination. So I honestly can't see the problem with certain hybrids either. If it's obvious that it is not either species, and has a very unlikely chance of breeding then we can assume this is strictly a pet to potential buyers. Part of the problem with people buying expensive animals is that it encourages people to breed that snake itself, or simply buy it so they can make money off it later. I'm sure most of us have met at least one person who was a "breeder" who was more concerned about making money than taking care of their animals.

At least you would think anyone interested in a hybrid wants it simply because they thought it was neat looking. Though I admit it is a bit nuts to pay so much for something.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHenry View Post
Technically, interbreeding between species won't save a species. It will create a new one. In this way, it can't shed light on the situation to interbreed snakes. Yeah, it could totally be interesting to see what would happen. I have to admit, I would love to see a python mixed with a boa. BUT, I don't want to be responisble if it's like, the deadliest constrictor ever, or if I produce horribly deformed babies. I also don't believe the colors of snakes could affect someones' fears... A snake is a snake is a snake. And between people who aren't afraid of snakes, a constrictor is a constrictor, just like a hot is a hot. If you are ten years old... You may want to grow up before you start breeding animals. I'm 18, and all I breed are rats, and that's to feed my snakes. Snake breeding is obviously a lot more complex than I understand right now, and I'm going to be going into veterinary school sooner than I think. Slow down, think, and grow up a little first. Then make big decisions about hybrids, and how this may affect the offspring, or the ecosystem if an irresponisble keeper releases them. Or if a natural disaster strikes, much like what happened in the Everglades. There's more to think about than what sits on the surface.
Well to late for me not to breed snakes already breed my corns and I'm starting a gopher snake x corn project which will hopefully be the result of some killer albino turbo corns. It doesn't matter what I hear I will always keep and breed snakes hopefully hybrids to, I don't care what other people think this is my hobby and I enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
N1H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the robins nest View Post
Well to late for me not to breed snakes already breed my corns and I'm starting a gopher snake x corn project which will hopefully be the result of some killer albino turbo corns. It doesn't matter what I hear I will always keep and breed snakes hopefully hybrids to, I don't care what other people think this is my hobby and I enjoy it.
I enjoyed your post and such. Personally, I like the Ohio ban. High five.
Hello angrybananapeel it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Your Sick Uncle Morti.

Send a message via AIM to morti Send a message via Yahoo to morti

I think this thread has served about all the purpose it's going to serve.