Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > Caresheets/Articles > Caresheets > Lizard

Old 10-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Bossman

Send a message via ICQ to natas Send a message via AIM to natas Send a message via Yahoo to natas
Tegus-general care

Red Tegu

Size and growth

Tegus can reach lengths up to 4 1/2 feet, with an average falling between 3 - 4 feet long. A properly cared for Tegu can grow at a rate as fast or faster than one inch per month, so they will eventually need a large set-up, possibly half a room, much like an iggy in this respect.

Diet

Tegus are considered to be omnivores, eating meats and vegatables, but primarily a meat type diet. Smaller Tegus typically eat a diet of gut-loaded and dusted crickets and other small insects along with boiled eggs( cooled and chopped up, with supplements) and some fresh fruits/ veggies.Feeder goldfish in a shallow bowl will give an even greater variety of food.

Larger tegus Can be fed rodents, larger insects, cooked chicken, cooked meats, raw fish such as feeders, raw eggs (preferabbly boiled to prevent salmonella)strips of lean, raw meat as a treat, fruits and veggies and basically anything that moves, or at one time has moved on its own. Adults need supplements also, calcium and vitamins. Provide with fresh water at all times.

Health issues

Tegus are hardy lizards that can be plagued with parasites during their lives. A fresh fecal sample, should be taken for screening when you first get a Tegu and re-checked at least once a year for recurrence. Once the animal has been de-wormed, if needed,it will have an even better, longer life.

Tegus need vitamin supplements and calcium in their diets as it is impossible to provide them with everything they would eat in the wild.They also need sunlight for proper vitamin synthesis along with naturally occuring vitamins from the sun. This can be accomplished with UV lighting, in the proper form such as Repti-sun lighting, but is better to have real sunlight.

Tegus will go off feed occasionally , much like they do in the wild, during the colder months and resume normal activities during the warmer seasons. If your Tegu does go off feed, make sure there hasn't been a temperature change to blame.

Temps and Humidity

Temps should be from 79 - 90 degrees range
with humidity in a high range of 65-75 %.
(They are a sub-tropic species-not much info out there, so if any one has better info for the temps and humids, feel free to let me know and I will correct this-eddie)

Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
retic addiction

Re: Tegus-general care

im haveing a really hard time with humidity how can i fix this...info

substrate= eco earth coco fiber

water dish= just bought a corner pool from pet co. thing is huge. hold about 17 cups water.

heat= needs work 2 60wat bulbs. one uvb one strait heat. soon head pad

his humidity falls to around 30-40 i mist the crap out of this tank daily so the top looks nice and damp. only lasting bout 30-40 min then falls back down.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

Re: Tegus-general care

my black and white has not been shedding his tail in the past two sheds and I do not know how bad this is or if it happens normally...what should i do?