Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > General > Just Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-11-2007, 02:11 PM
ChadRamsey's Avatar
ChadRamsey ChadRamsey is offline
SnakeRoom Janitor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 3,061
Re: Boaconda??

wow, as much as it kills me to say it: Well put Gus!
__________________
"Guns kill people like SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell fat!"
There are few things in life harder to bear than remorse.......thats why i do NOTHING wrong!
  #22  
Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Hartsock's Avatar
Hartsock Hartsock is offline
Jumps overboard
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,561
Re: Boaconda??

Just to throw in my 2 cents, not like it really matters, but...

I am against the hybridization when it produces deadly and harmful effects to the offspring...such as what was mentioned with the boacondas from the 80s(which were extreme and fatal) and neurological things such as the headwobblers and stuff. But let me ask those who feel so strongly about this when it comes to snakes --- what about other animals like dogs? Two poodles don't breed and out pops a toy, a minature,and a great...those animals were bred to get those certain results along with all the mixture breeds that are popping up and some lines are specifically bred for certain traits that have developed over hundreds of years. So if something like the boaconda could be produced without the ill effects, would that make a difference is some people's thinking?
  #23  
Old 08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Hartsock's Avatar
Hartsock Hartsock is offline
Jumps overboard
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,561
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
wow, as much as it kills me to say it: Well put Gus!
yeah, me too! Didn't see Gus's post before I did mine.
  #24  
Old 08-11-2007, 02:36 PM
mpgt's Avatar
mpgt mpgt is offline
Snakes need love too!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 10,193
Re: Boaconda??

Sorry. I don't want to preach or be negative. Just a thought:
It's so hard to change a person's position on this issue. The whole idea of cross/inbreeding touches a nerve with most of us. I don't think it's worth arguing about because the likelihood of changing one person's mind; let alone swaying a large number of breeders/buyers in the other camp seems very small to me. I think the best we can do is choose which breeders we support.

I've seen all the details debated in the past. You can't honestly say you know a person's motivation behind their actions, so you can't say with authority that a breeder is just in it for profit. It doesn't matter anyway. The only thing that really matters is whether or not you choose to buy one of these animals. Doing so supports the breeder and creates a demand for more like them.

Last edited by mpgt; 08-11-2007 at 02:41 PM.
  #25  
Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 PM
mrcota's Avatar
mrcota mrcota is offline
Lehrer und Forscher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Königsreich Thailand
Posts: 280
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock View Post
I am against the hybridization when it produces deadly and harmful effects to the offspring...such as what was mentioned with the boacondas from the 80s(which were extreme and fatal) and neurological things such as the headwobblers and stuff. But let me ask those who feel so strongly about this when it comes to snakes --- what about other animals like dogs? Two poodles don't breed and out pops a toy, a minature,and a great...those animals were bred to get those certain results along with all the mixture breeds that are popping up and some lines are specifically bred for certain traits that have developed over hundreds of years. So if something like the boaconda could be produced without the ill effects, would that make a difference is some people's thinking?
.
What about other animals, like dogs? That is easy for me- I don't like dogs Dogs and even worse, cats, have caused immeasureable damage to wildlife. They are a menace. On the question of dog breeding, there is no comparision. As different as different dogs look, they are all the same subspecies (Canis lupus familiaris) and is little different than the people breeding morphs- there is no comparison with that and hydrids (two different species or genera). Along with not approving of dogs in general, I could do without any breeds of dogs and keep with the nominate.
.
Michael
  #26  
Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
razeraze's Avatar
razeraze razeraze is offline
Professional Poop Scooper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: woodridge IL
Posts: 6,240
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock View Post
Just to throw in my 2 cents, not like it really matters, but...
I am against the hybridization when it produces deadly and harmful effects to the offspring...such as what was mentioned with the boacondas from the 80s(which were extreme and fatal) and neurological things such as the headwobblers and stuff. But let me ask those who feel so strongly about this when it comes to snakes --- what about other animals like dogs? Two poodles don't breed and out pops a toy, a minature,and a great...those animals were bred to get those certain results along with all the mixture breeds that are popping up and some lines are specifically bred for certain traits that have developed over hundreds of years. So if something like the boaconda could be produced without the ill effects, would that make a difference is some people's thinking?
As far as breeding dogs, I am ashamed of what some people have done to them. As I have stated before Breeders who "design" dogs could care less about the health problems they cause as long as they make a buck. I will never purchase a dog from a store or breeder. With the millions in shelters why support the problem by buying from a breeder? I am beginning to feel the same way about reptiles. I don't think I will buy one again.
__________________
when I was little I dreamed of giant snakes and dragons.... now I live with them.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: "Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."
Jurassic park
Monsignor: Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." The Boondock Saints
  #27  
Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Hartsock's Avatar
Hartsock Hartsock is offline
Jumps overboard
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,561
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcota View Post
.
What about other animals, like dogs? That is easy for me- I don't like dogs Dogs and even worse, cats, have caused immeasureable damage to wildlife. They are a menace. On the question of dog breeding, there is no comparision. As different as different dogs look, they are all the same subspecies (Canis lupus familiaris) and is little different than the people breeding morphs- there is no comparison with that and hydrids (two different species or genera). Along with not approving of dogs in general, I could do without any breeds of dogs and keep with the nominate.
.
Michael
True, mrcota, it would be morphs not hybrids, but then again didn't I say that my two cents weren't worth much, lol. But just for you, I'll get working on the dog/cat hybrid today!
  #28  
Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 AM
TopNotchBoas TopNotchBoas is offline
Regular RTB User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock View Post
True, mrcota, it would be morphs not hybrids, but then again didn't I say that my two cents weren't worth much, lol. But just for you, I'll get working on the dog/cat hybrid today!
Put me down for a 1.1 pair of cogs!
__________________
www.topnotchboas.com
  #29  
Old 08-12-2007, 02:29 AM
ChadRamsey's Avatar
ChadRamsey ChadRamsey is offline
SnakeRoom Janitor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 3,061
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNotchBoas View Post
Put me down for a 1.1 pair of cogs!

me too, but ONLY if they have head wobble, one eyed, and hairless!
__________________
"Guns kill people like SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell fat!"
There are few things in life harder to bear than remorse.......thats why i do NOTHING wrong!
  #30  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Boaphile Boaphile is offline
Ball Python King
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 561
Re: Boaconda??

About 17 or 18 years ago, someone did breed a Boa Constrictor with a yellow Anaconda. Yellow Anacondas are legendary aggressive breeders in their own right. VERY AGGRESSIVE breeders! The males are relentless. I have bred them way back in the day. The babies that somebody produced from the Boa X Yellow Anaconda breeding were all males. At least physically they had the male hardware and all probed male. None of those animals ever reproduced and they were believed to be genetic "mules" that would be infertile.
__________________
Jeff Ronne Sr/The Boaphile/Director USARK

http://www.theboaphile.com
http://www.boaphileplastics.com
  #31  
Old 12-24-2009, 04:09 AM
rtb_luver rtb_luver is offline
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
Re: Boaconda??


sadly someone posted this saying someone showed them this pic a pure mutant.
__________________
http://www.wilsonboas.co.cc

zach wilson @ Wilson boas

i ♥ baby boas
  #32  
Old 12-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Hartsock's Avatar
Hartsock Hartsock is offline
Jumps overboard
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,561
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb_luver View Post

sadly someone posted this saying someone showed them this pic a pure mutant.
The only reason to do this is...

Haven't been around much and got an email alert and thought, hmmm, should go back and check out what's up at RTB. Sadly this is the picture I am greeted with.... No point in doing it other than seeing if they can or chasing after the new hot designer snake so they can cash in on the money.
  #33  
Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM
owen.richards's Avatar
owen.richards owen.richards is offline
unamused
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,969
Send a message via MSN to owen.richards Send a message via Yahoo to owen.richards Send a message via Skype™ to owen.richards
Re: Boaconda??

who unearthed this mummified thread?!?
__________________
If it doesnt matter now, then it never really did
  #34  
Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Vinny Vinny is offline
Wanna play with my snake?
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 4,306
Send a message via AIM to Vinny Send a message via Yahoo to Vinny
Re: Boaconda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBravoReptiles View Post
I think these occur in nature.. they're called yellow-phase upper Amazon basin, Peru boas..
Ya Gus has the nicest yellow upper Amazon Basin Boas

But seriously, why would you want to cross a Boa with a Conda? Both animals are very beautiful in their own right, and their is no reason (besides making money) I personally think even crossing a Bcc and a Bci is dumb. These animals have certain traits that should be kept for only that animal. I am sure it would be a cool looking snake, but stick to the species. Its like those Borneo Bat-Eaters (Burm X Retic) I think they are ugly looking snakes, while on the other hand a Retic IMO is one of the most beautiful snakes in the world, and Burms are cute as {Can Be?} Just my two cents..

I guess being such a Rio Bravo fan, I only want to keep the pure Boas in tact And all animals in fact!

Last edited by morti; 12-24-2009 at 04:27 PM.
  #35  
Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
morti's Avatar
morti morti is offline
Your Sick Uncle Morti.
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,906
Send a message via AIM to morti Send a message via Yahoo to morti
Re: Boaconda??

I would like to remind everyone that we have a debate forum.

It is a good place to share your feelings on whether or not you think something is ethically correct or incorrect.

In fact, we have a debate about hybrids already:
http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/deb...te-v1-0-a.html

If you do not have access to the debate forum and would like to have it, please PM Me or another member of the staff.

Yay!
__________________
  #36  
Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 PM
rtb_luver rtb_luver is offline
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
Re: Boaconda??

As i stated i didnt do this and i think it is pure mutiny if you wouldve read the tread. I hated this when i seen it but agian i found this pic on a different forum typed boaconda into google and this thread popped up so i said wow other forums talk about this this is not my picture i hate hybrids!
__________________
http://www.wilsonboas.co.cc

zach wilson @ Wilson boas

i ♥ baby boas
  #37  
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
morti's Avatar
morti morti is offline
Your Sick Uncle Morti.
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,906
Send a message via AIM to morti Send a message via Yahoo to morti
Re: Boaconda??

OK... Obviously my message was not received.

This thread is closed. Anyone wishing to discuss their opinions of if hybrids are good or bad, please do so in the link I posted above.
__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2010 Redtailboa.net. The comments are property of their posters,