Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > General > HELP ME!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm a nice girl

Help Boa constrictor bite

So I just got my first boa bite.. It wasn't too bad, felt like a dog bite. She let go right away. At first it stung, then I cleaned the cuts but now two of my fingers are numb and the cuts are starting to turn into bruises. Is it normal for your hand to go numb? It's been like 20 minutes since. What do I do?!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Guidette

Re: Boa constrictor bite

Where did you get bit? Arm? Hand?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

iHerp. Do you?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm a nice girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyDrgn View Post
Where did you get bit? Arm? Hand?

Hand. She got about three of my fingers right where they attach to my hand, then the middle of my hand on the other side.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Snakes need love too!

They're probably numb from the bruising.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I Really Need a Life !

All I can say is that if it were me, and only speaking for myself here, I would treat it like any animal bite, by thorough washing with soap and water then drying and applying antibiotic cream like neosporin or polysporin, and just watching how it goes from here. If it does not start looking better by tomorrow, I may have to go to a doctor.

Also if it was me, and I had to go to a doctor, and the snake I had was not really legal for me to own, I would say that a stray cat bit me, and hope that he would not notice any difference???

Hope you are OK.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Regular RTB User

Send a message via MSN to blueangel817 Send a message via Yahoo to blueangel817

i dont know about a snake bite if its any different but i have been bitten by a dog and yes my hand was numb and all that stuff and even a guy at my job got bit and freaked lol i done what the hospital would have done and saved him alot of cash only bc they wont stitch up a bite bc of infection but yes wash hands and stuff like the post above says it should be ok lol

0.1 hypo motley (Hannah)
1.0 albino het snow (Snow)
1.0 normal red tail boa (Sly)
1.2 bcl (Gabby,Ariel,and Allister)
0.1 anery het snow (Alexandria)
0.1 salmon poss. super salmon (Sheba)
0.1 Jayapura green tree python (Malorie)
0.1 veiled chameleon (Chamie)
0.0.1 baby iguana (Kermit)
1.1 dog ( Natasha & Buddy)
1.0 cat (Skeeter)
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Sammy's Loveable keeper

Pictures please.

And welcome to the club

0.1.0 BCI Sammy, 1.1.0 Royal Python Bonnie & Clyde, 0.0.1 Corn Snake Anakin, 0.1.0 JCP Leia
Fallen Pets
leo's(RIP Scooter, Skipper RIP),Rat (RIP Lucy RIP), Boa (RIP Phoenix)

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She well knows that by enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standards of freedom. – John Quincy Adams (1821)
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
RTB Aficionado

Is there swelling right above the fingers?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Canadian Reptile Keeper

For what it's worth I've never had a snake bite (nonvenomous of course) get infected, just clean it really well and antibiotic cream wouldn't hurt. *IF* you are at all concerned about nerve damage I would go see a Dr, and tell them what bit you so they can treat it properly. I work in a veterinary clinic and I would say about 2/3 of the cat bites I have received over the years have become infected but cats have Much dirtier mouths.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 AM
The Boa Temptress

Send a message via AIM to Sakara Send a message via Yahoo to Sakara

congrats! lol

how big was the boa? If it was a PERFECT hit, it is possible that she hit a nerve... My burm caused nerve damage for 9 months in my pinkie finger after she bit me... There is nothing the doctor can do about it honestly... I went and they told me it should get better with time... So if that is the case, unfortunately, you gotta deal with it... Put some ice on it if it's swelling up and wash it out... Best things you can do really...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Regular RTB User

sounds like you hit a nerve thats really the only reason for immidate numbing. Are your swelling badly around the numb area? a pic would help i hope your alright
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Regular Rattlebrat

Are you current on a tetanus shot? You may need one, as this sounds like a deep enough puncture. Be safe, not sorry! As for numbness, sounds like he hit a nerve? (unless swelling is causing that?) I once got a mouse bite at nite that caused some temporary numbness and looked quite nasty...was prepared to go to the Dr. the next day but it improved, used Neosporin after a good cleaning...whew! (I accidentally cut my finger in the kitchen earlier this year & hit a nerve, had to get 3 stitches to stop the bleeding...it is still numb! They said it may take a year to 'wake up', or maybe never...?)
Ouch! Hope it gets better...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Photo Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to John_White

I just spit on my bites and wipe them off. Never had a problem. If you like, I can send you some spit?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Sammy's Loveable keeper

Leave it to John!!!!

0.1.0 BCI Sammy, 1.1.0 Royal Python Bonnie & Clyde, 0.0.1 Corn Snake Anakin, 0.1.0 JCP Leia
Fallen Pets
leo's(RIP Scooter, Skipper RIP),Rat (RIP Lucy RIP), Boa (RIP Phoenix)

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She well knows that by enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standards of freedom. – John Quincy Adams (1821)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm a nice girl

I washed out the cuts with soap and warm water, then used Polysporin and put bandaids on them. My pinky is the only part of my hand thats numb at the moment. The bruising is the worst part now, and once in awhile the cuts will sting or burn.

Zack - Theres swelling on my ring & pinky fingers where they attach to my hand, and at the tip of my pinky where theres also a bruise and cut. No major swelling but I'm worried mostly about the pinky.

Keri - Cats really have dirtier mouths?.. I'm never giving my cats kisses again lol. Wouldn't a snakes mouth carry more bacteria because they have dirty rats in them?

Sakara - 10 ft boa! Big mouth on the girl too haha. I think there may be nerve damage in my pinky too because its still numb. I figured it wasn't worth sitting in the emergency room for 9 hours to have a doctor put new bandages on lol.

asstastic - Yes, the pinkys still numb but everything else is fine.

Herphappy - I got a tetanus shot 4 years ago. My dad said you only need one every 5 to 10 years. I want to go get one tomorrow anyways just to be on the safe side.

John - I'm hoping you're sending this first class air mail? Haha

I'll put up pics in the morning! It feels pretty sweet to get my first bite over and done with. Definitely not nearly as bad as I expected! I got lucky because she let go quickly. Thanks everyone
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 AM
The Boa Temptress

Send a message via AIM to Sakara Send a message via Yahoo to Sakara

that is a big boa! deff. big enough to do some damage... Just keep an eye on it to make sure it does go down... And it may cause nerve damage... you will know if it does cause it'll hurt to move it O_O
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 AM
RTB Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelane View Post
Zack - Theres swelling on my ring & pinky fingers where they attach to my hand, and at the tip of my pinky where theres also a bruise and cut. No major swelling but I'm worried mostly about the pinky.
It depends of how much swelling there is above and at the tip of your finger but that could be the reason it is numb. When something swells up it "slows the blood flow" in that area which can cause numbness.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm a nice girl

Ok so decided to put pics up now haha.. My crackberry takes horrible pictures and the bruising looks a lot worse in person.

EDIT: WOAHHH THESE ARE HUGE PICTURES! Sorry folks!

Swollen pinky

turned the flash off so you can see the bruising on my ring finger a bit better.. didn't really work lol

Whole hand.. The main line of dots in the middle of my hand is bruised as well but you can't see it here

So like I said, I'm pretty much just concerned about the pinky because it's numb. Everything else isn't bad.

Last edited by beelane; 09-03-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Nice. Wish I could get my pics to come out so big.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
hypomanic & boa obsessed

The feeling will come back you probably just got a pinched nerve or something. I've had a few nasty dog bites that left a lingering numbness, and I get the same thing from any sort of crushing pressure (i.e. the time my roommate dropped the refrigerator we were moving and I almost lost my left hand). I wouldn't worry about it.