Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > SNAKES > Boas

Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Regular RTB User

Breeding Dumeril's

Aye, Everyone. The guy who sold me my Female Dum's has a male who will be ready to breed in 8 months. I think I can learn, buy what I need and prepare enough to breed snakes in 8 months.
Anyways, has anyone here bred Dumeril's? I want some info on breeding them before I decide whether or not I'll do it. My mind is set on nothing specific. I am going to research thos for maybe four months-ish, and then I'll decide whether or not to breed and buy his male. I'd love to hear from others who've bred Dumeril's (and that's all I'd like to hear in this thread, please & thank you). Btw, since I already bought his female, he said he'd gimme his male for $30. The male was there when I picked up my female, and the male seemed very docile, and in good health.
Wasn't in a bad shed, like Duma was when I bought her.
Pastel Salmon BCI: Female
Normal Ball Python: Male
Snow Corn Snake: Female
Dumeril's Boa Constrictor: Female
Poss Super Hypo 100% Het Coral Albino
Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Marked One

Re: Breeding Dumeril's

I won't say what I want to say.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plisken View Post

I will say it,

but take no offense. Here is what I always wonder when it comes to pets in general and I first saw it with dogs. Specifically, protection dogs of a certain breed.

People go into a hobby looking for a pet or animal to enjoy, and suddenly get caught up in wanting to become a breeder often knowing very little about it and lose the whole purpose and enjoyment of the hobby.

I'm not saying this holds true to every breeder as there are some excellent ones out there, but there are literally millions of snakes being bred and sold. Just getting a couple of snakes doesn't mean you should "green light" yourself into breeding.

The costs involved, the equipment, time and care will take away from your initial experience. If you google search snake breeders you'll find an endless list and you should ask yourself what YOUR involvement in breeding will do for the species. It should not be about making money.

Again, to each their own, but I personally would get maximum enjoyment out of your snakes, spoil them rotten and skip the whole breeding thing.

No slam on you intended just a few things to consider.

Last edited by Gio; 09-28-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plisken View Post
Why take the time to reply, but not say what you want?
I'd take no offense, and please keep whatever is said on topic.

"(and that's all I'd like to hear in this thread, please & thank you)".

Last edited by SnakeGuy; 09-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Snakes on the Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeGuy View Post
"(and that's all I'd like to hear in this thread, please & thank you)".
That's cute. Maybe you can open your own reptile forum where you can dictate what the other members can or cannot reply to your threads.

Until then, expect the other members here to speak their minds.

As for trying to breed your boa, sounds like a bad idea to me. Work on optimizing the husbandry for your current collection and getting your female healthy and housed correctly for some time. I could ask "Why do you want to breed the snake?" but I know I will be disappointed by the answer. We already know that the hobby has plenty of Dumeril's boas available from responsible breeders, so you won't be doing anyone any favors.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleZ View Post
That's cute. Maybe you can open your own reptile forum where you can dictate what the other members can or cannot reply to your threads.
Until then, expect the other members here to speak their minds.
As for trying to breed your boa, sounds like a bad idea to me. Work on optimizing the husbandry for your current collection and getting your female healthy and housed correctly for some time. I could ask "Why do you want to breed the snake?" but I know I will be disappointed by the answer. We already know that the hobby has plenty of Dumeril's boas available from responsible breeders, so you won't be doing anyone any favors.
The sub topic is Boas. Not try and talk me out of breedeing. That's why I thought that we should discuss Boas.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Just a Figment...

I had a really long, scathing response typed out, but I don't want to get an infraction, so I'll just say this. You're new to reptiles. I don't think anyone here is going to encourage you to breed your boa. Why is it that new keepers can't just enjoy the pets they have, and look into breeding a few years (or more!) down the line?

Also, the thing I like about rtb is that it's not some big forum where no one knows you. The members here will say what they need to say without worrying about what the subforum at the top says. The members here can remember what your snakes are and know them by name. The members here can remember your age, interests, and location. The members here are pretty spectacular, it's not just your average forum, it's a community, so don't be surprised when people carry issues over from other threads.

Last edited by Shann; 09-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Guidette

Yes, the topic is Boas, and you specifically asked how to breed Dums and what you would need. However, you can not expect people to tell you only what you want to hear. The members here care about the animals so you aren't going to get a pretty little answer all wrapped up in a bow.

I will say Dums are a very interesting and different kind of boa. I enjoyed keeping and breeding them, but for a new breeder, they are NOT a good idea. You need to have more experience dealing with neonates before even thinking about tackling baby Dums.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

iHerp. Do you?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Regular RTB User

I like you and your enthusiasm. I don't think anybody here is really trying to rip on you, but it appears you're 16 yrs old. At 16 you have more snakes than I do which is cool, and I'm what some would call OLD LOL! I'm not really that old but to you I'm prehistoric.
I liked your ingenuity with the homemade snake hook and the fact you like snakes.
Shann mentioned people here remembering things, and I think you were getting some advice from the "crew" here about the size of your Dums and maybe some other stuff.

People are free to do as they please, but as a snake lover, I really enjoy my snakes and don't see a need for me, or a great many people to become breeders just to be breeders.
The folks here have some very strict views on breeding, health and animal purity and a lot of the time you'll see some extraordinary snakes because of the care the true breeders put into their pairings.
You certainly could be capable, but are you ready to deal with all the extra time and effort that goes with it? You become less able to truly focus on your individual snakes which is why the hobbyist gets them in the first place. Once you have a great deal of experience and maybe something actually special to offer, then it might be time to consider things.

Still, there is selling the snakes you produced.
I have a nice story about Morti. While I did not ultimately buy his boa, I was very impressed with his care of the snake I was considering. He would not ship during cold weather, he offered to handle the snake so it was "family ready" for us here. To me, those are signs of somebody who's been around the block, knows more than just Male + Female = baby snakes. Dealing with shipping regulations, laws from different states and whatever else is involved.
Anyhow I side tracked a bit, but I'm just going into some of the stuff beyond simple breeding. Caring for where the animals go, whether you give them away or sell them.

You are only being given a bit of quality advice by some folks that have been around the block.
BTW, I think you are handling it well and have responded in a mature tone as far as I'm concerned.
Post some pics of your collection and maybe deck out the cages for fun!
Skip the breeding for a bit and just have fun : )

Last edited by Gio; 09-28-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Just a Figment...

I guess my reply seems a little extreme, but while you are conducting yourself maturely here, your reputation is severely damaged on other forums by your behavior there. I know that you say that you don't care what other people think of you, but if you want to breed snakes (and make sure they go to GOOD homes) you do need to care. You also need to make sure you conduct yourself maturely everywhere because people are putting down your name as someone they don't want to do business with. Many people are saying that they wouldn't even sell to you at this point. It takes a lot to build up a reputation but only a little to damage it beyond repair. So I would suggest going slow, getting experience, and then think about breeding a little later on.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Regular RTB User

You guys do realize I said I planned on doing research and deciding from there, correct? I didn't say "oh! I'm ready to breed, how do I do it?". I enjoy all my snakes very very much. It's not like I'm not satisfied with them, so I want to breed to make up for it.

Edit: I buy local. I am not concerned if some guys sitting in a chair reading what I've said want to sell to me.

Last edited by SnakeGuy; 09-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post

You certainly could be capable, but are you ready to deal with all the extra time and effort that goes with it?

I'm not sure. I am being talked down, before I've learned anything about breeding.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Regular Rattlebrat

As one who is still putting light bulbs & wires into your cages, & who's inexperience might as well be on a billboard.... well, let's just say we've all "seen this movie before" and it doesn't end well.

Unfortunately your immature impulsiveness will have a negative impact not only on your animals but potentially on the herp community at large, and pretty much guarantees that you won't even care.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
You guys do realize I said I planned on doing research and deciding from there, correct? I didn't say "oh! I'm ready to breed, how do I do it?". I enjoy all my snakes very very much. It's not like I'm not satisfied with them, so I want to breed to make up for it.

Edit: I buy local. I am not concerned if some guys sitting in a chair reading what I've said want to sell to me.
Right, I think people are wondering what the point is. Unless you have something like a true locality, or a special morph or have an established program with a lot of research and experience behind it, the market is so saturated there is no real need to buy a snake for $30 and to breed it.

So in a sense the advice, research you are doing here points to skipping it. Probably not the answer you want, but what would the special purpose of the proposed breeding be?

Working with protection dogs we used to drop our mouths when somebody who had a dog that bit the sleeve or bite suit suddenly think they had a breed worthy specimen. There was no temperament testing, no hip testing, nothing special about the dog not even a weak bite on the sleeve was worthy of a breeding prospect yet somehow they felt the need to breed the dog to the first available female.

So while I understand you being interested in the process, personally I think you should pass.

From HerpHappy. "Unfortunately your immature impulsiveness will have a negative impact not only on your animals but potentially on the herp community at large,"

I never even thought about that impact. The level of responsibility and potential backlash if things go wrong.

Keep in mind when a large number of people think its a bad idea, that should tell you something. Sorry Bud, just sayin.

But do as you please I'm just tossing out some advice.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gio; 09-28-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERPHAPPY View Post
As one who is still putting light bulbs & wires into your cages, & who's inexperience might as well be on a billboard.... well, let's just say we've all "seen this movie before" and it doesn't end well.
Unfortunately your immature impulsiveness will have a negative impact not only on your animals but potentially on the herp community at large, and pretty much guarantees that you won't even care.
Yup. Don't care, won't care. That's why I came here to ask about breeding instead of researching it and going right into it without getting advice. Guess since I can't control myself, I'll go pickup that male Dum's after work. Thanks for all the replies.

And goodbye.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Snakes on the Brain

Quote:
Yup. Don't care, won't care. That's why I came here to ask about breeding instead of researching it and going right into it without getting advice. Guess since I can't control myself, I'll go pickup that male Dum's after work. Thanks for all the replies.
And goodbye.
That's the spirit! Have fun. I hope your snakes don't end up starving and on Craigslist when you turn 18 and get distracted by the next shiny new thing; or if you actually have to make the transition into a self-sufficient adult.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Regular RTB User

SnakeGuy--- I think what these wonderful people are saying is.... take some more time! I am just now doing my first breeding trials and I have had females (that will produce high quality babies that will sell well) ready to breed for a few years. I kept waiting because I made myself aware of all the complications, equipment, time and money needed to do it successfully. I am a die hard boa guy and I think the more (quality) boa breeders the better! You and I live real close to each other and I know the market for snakes in our area. It's not great... it's actually quite poor and when it comes to Dumerils? Forget about it, they won't sell for a thing. That means the 10-30+ babies you produce will have to be practically GIVEN away and that means the people buying/taking them probably won't end up being the best owners and that's not fair to the boas.

Why not research some of the AWESOME morphs and locality boas available and pick up a 2012-2013 pair, grow them right (slow) and when they are ready to breed in the upcoming years attempt it then? You'll have the satisfaction of watching the babies grow and then seeing their babies when the day comes. I would personally give you a ridiculously good deal on a baby when the time comes and also help you find an unrelated mate that would pair well with it.

This forum, as mentioned above, is great because the members do say the things that are sometimes held back out of "politeness." The animals are put first in thought and word which is really great. Challenge yourself to not be another statistic in reptile keeping follies and become the best darn keeper that doesn't have to worry about criticism because there is need for any... after that help populate the hobby with healthy and sought after animals and by all means help spread the sickness
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Marked One

Okay, so basically be quiet and listen. First grow up , then figure out what you want to do with life. Don't worry about breeding any snakes. First thing is to make sure the snakes are getting what they want and need to be healthy. Be happy with that. Breeding snakes costs way more then you think. Their are tons of unwanted animals out there because every Tom, Dick and Harriett decided they wanted to breed their snakes. I've been working with snakes for over 40 years and I still don't go around breeding every chance I get. I enjoy the animal for the animal. Eveytime you get another snake, it's the same old song, one gets tired of know it all individuals who haven't even stuck their head out to see what the weather is bringing before running out the door. And yes, I'm being very nice here. Enough siad for now.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

Quote:
And goodbye.
Dear Erik, statements like this show that you are either unable to accept criticism or that you don’t want to accept any criticism. You ask for advice (a lot) but if you get advice you don’t like you react either like a spoiled child or in a rather aggressive way. I am not saying that you have to accept any advice, but you should answer it with arguments of your own…

Back to the topic. As others already have said, you should ask yourself several questions before you start breeding

- Do I have a “good” pair? (e.g. snakes of the same subspecies (no mixing of different subspecies), in you case, is the male you were offered related to your female (same parents?) etc)
- Can I breed the eggs appropriately? This is obviously no problem for breeding your boas, but it is if you plan on breeding your ball python or your corn snake.
- What do I do with 20+ young snakes? This is obviously depending on the species you are going to breed, is it a species which is commonly breed (as your dumerils are) or is it something which is only seldom kept. Can you provide 20 to 30 small cages (complete with heating and lighting) to keep each youngling separate? You may have to keep them for quite some time, because nobody will buy a young snake that doesn’t eat by itself, so you have to figure out if your younglings eat and how you get them to eat. A lot of young snakes have a completely different diet as the adult snake, it won’t eat young mice but expects a lizard.

That was/is the reason why I never tried to breed my kingsnakes or milksnakes, there are to many young snakes available each year, we don’t need “my” younglings on top of it.

Think about it…

Roman
0,1 Philodryas baroni
2,1 Spilotes pullatus
Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Marked One

Indeed, goodbye. See you when you have some more questions after you mess something up.