Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > SNAKES > Boas

Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

Average growth rate of common Boas

My BCCs grew about 1.5 inches per month i think. I bought one in july 2007 when she was 21 inches. She is now 32-33 inches. I was wondering if this is average or if my boa isn't growing normally.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Mens Wear Kilts!

Re: Average growth rate of common Boas

Depends on environment, feeding regularity/prey size, activity, age of boa, health....LOTS of factors. Look at it like this. I bought my Suriname BCC last February. He was about 5mos old and about 18". Today, he is about 3' or so. Both the breeder and I bring them along slowly...powerfeeding is a no-no. Keeping them healthy is primary, size will come.

Last edited by X-Factor; 01-23-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Regular RTB User

from what i have been told from a few breeders and what info i have found is that bcc especially surinames are slow growers.my little suris mother was almost 10 ft and still had some to go.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

I've been feeding her one f/t or f/k large adult mouse every saturday. From what information I have found that appears to be a proper feeding schedule. I still consider myself a newb to all of this so if there is any way of improvement in health and general maintenance in keeping these pets I am more than open to it. One other question loosely relating to this inquiry is how to begin breeding feeder rats, I.E. setting up a breeding colony. I believe my BCC is approaching the right size to begin feeding her hopper rats(if that's the right term).
Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Mens Wear Kilts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
from what i have been told from a few breeders and what info i have found is that bcc especially surinames are slow growers.my little suris mother was almost 10 ft and still had some to go.
A 10' female Suri is rather large....but yes, BCC do grow slower than say, BCIs
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Professional Poop Scooper

Genetics play a huge role in growth also. According to the "boa constrictor manual" by Philippe de vosjoli BCC's need to be kept at slightly higher temperatures and will grow at the same rate as BCI. I do not know for sure if this is true, but pick up the book and you can read it for yourself.
Monsignor: Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." The Boondock Saints
Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM
I am an RTB Addict !

Yeah it all depends. Individual animals, even siblings from the same litter, will grow at different paces. Some of my BCCs, even though they're fed less often, are growing at the same rate as some of my BCIs. Normal? No.. not really, but it happens.

BCCs tend to grow slower than BCIs, especially when they're fed moderately. A female BCI can hit 4' within her first year or two, and reach breeding size (6'+) and sexual maturity by the time she's 3 years old. A BCC, regardless of her size or how she's grown, may not reach sexual maturity and may not breed until she's 4 or even 5 years old. No sense in forcing any boa to mature faster than it's designed to.

Feed just enough to keep your boa lean and tone, and she'll be perfect, no matter how fast she grows.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Poop head

Send a message via AIM to Cameron...G

I havent read any of the other posts but Average growth? Thats like saying that people have a average growth, everyone grows at different rates same as snakes. I had a pastel bci that was younger than my hypo and was a good 4 inches bigger.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

ok so maybe average was a bad way to put it. I just thought it an interesting topic on which I know little of. All of your replies thus far have been very insightful, thank you all.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 AM
N1H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal View Post
ok so maybe average was a bad way to put it. I just thought it an interesting topic on which I know little of. All of your replies thus far have been very insightful, thank you all.
Actually, people... and snakes... do have average growth rates. Within a certain range +/- of the average would be considered normal. Just because something falls outside of that range doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong but it is certainly ok to question it. Nothing wrong with the terminology of your question (or the question itself) at all.
sorry I don't have the answer though.
Hello angrybananapeel it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybananapeel View Post
Actually, people... and snakes... do have average growth rates. Within a certain range +/- of the average would be considered normal. Just because something falls outside of that range doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong but it is certainly ok to question it. Nothing wrong with the terminology of your question (or the question itself) at all.
sorry I don't have the answer though.
Yes, but you also have to look at locality, the "average growth rate" is different in each country, so boas will most likely vary according to locality.

Over all it is just an impossible question to answer. There are too few general statistics being taken of every boa population.
Monsignor: Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." The Boondock Saints
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 AM
N1H1

Quote:
Yes, but you also have to look at locality, the "average growth rate" is different in each country, so boas will most likely vary according to locality.

Over all it is just an impossible question to answer. There are too few general statistics being taken of every boa population.
I didn't say it was a question that could be easily answered, I just said that it was a legitimate question. I don't know what type or locality of BCC it is, and even if I did, I personally couldn't answer it. I just didn't see a problem with the question itself. When you bring your baby/kid to the doctor every 3-6 months for the first couple years, they let you know your child's size in respect to other children of the same age. Obviously factors other than just age will have an effect but there is a baseline. Boas have a baseline as well, I'm sure. We just don't necessarily know it. (seemed like he kinda got flamed for an innocent question)
Hello angrybananapeel it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM

I don't think he was flamed for anything just shown how difficult the question was.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
WE NEED A REVOLUTION

Send a message via Yahoo to LooseAFur

Hey we all have to remember where we started, or even when we started as keepers....we ask and we learn, just give honest answers, theres no need to act or feel like a know it all here, thats not what this place is all about...furthermore, for the newbies to RTB.net if you ask a question, remember you are asking EVERYONE on the forum, and even though you may be searching for a simple answer you are going to get opinions, good/correct answers, and sometimes wrong answers...choose your words wisely and have FUN

Theres a lot of good info here, these guys know what their talking about!!! The Size will come with time, dont over-feed, follow a good schedule and size will come with time....would you want your kids to go from 2yrs old to 18yrs old in one day? Hopefully not you will miss a lot of good times, enjoy your snake no matter what size it is, as long as its a healthy snake its all goood!!

Last edited by scink; 01-24-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scink View Post
The Size will come with time, dont over-feed, follow a good schedule and size will come with time....would you want your kids to go from 2yrs old to 18yrs old in one day?

I know many keepers who do not feed on schedules and have perfectly healthy snakes. The bottom line is make sure your snakes are not obese, if they are you may need to provide them with larger cages and more things to exercise on.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
WE NEED A REVOLUTION

Send a message via Yahoo to LooseAFur

well by schedule i mean dont try to feed them 3 times a week to make them grow faster
Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Quote:
if they are you may need to provide them with larger cages and more things to exercise on.
Or maybe not feed so much or so often.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Dank are you preferring diet over exercise? But your so buff. I use diets as a last resort, and even so I doubt anyone has figured out the appropriate calorie intake for their reptiles.

This was the only time I have ever heard diet mentioned so in detail. This is courtesy of a monitor keeper named Jody Pieper.

"Don’t forget the minimum requirements for carnivorous reptiles
Crude Protein 30-50%
Fat 10-15%
Calcium 0.8-1%
Phosphorus 0.5-0.9%
Vitamin D 500-1000 IU/kg
Vitamin E 100 IU/kg"
Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Bodybuilding is 80% diet the exercise is just the stimulous for muscle growth.

And in captivity YES I DO stress it [diet] more than exercise. It is not possible to recreate the "wild" in the limited space that is available in captivity in the vast majority of situations. As much as it would be great to do, I know of very few individuals who can provide that. Therefore you must do what is best for the conditions available. In captivity (not the wild) a boa's diet sould be kept resonable to the conditions it is in and not the conditions of it's native environment (since that is not where it is at). Free reign of unlimited acerage is not possible. Nor is it possible to provide that amount of exercise (unless someone developes a snakey tredmill). We as "CAPTIVE" keepers must adequately conrol diet to maintain proper musculature and body fat.

It is noble to believe that reproducing nature is best, but it is simply not practical (and in most cases not possible). Therefore you, I or any other keeper will be limited in what we can do in that respect.

An office worker who sits on their butt all day in front of a computer cannot consume as many calories as the concrete worker and expect to be as healthy. Going to a gym three times a week for an hour isn't the same as hard physical like labor raking agregate and pushing wheelbarrows for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Since the lifestyle can only be modified so much due to the environment (of work) then the DIET must be if that office worker wishes to remain healthy....Unless, of course, someone is one of the few genetic freaks that can eat as much as they want and still remain relatively lean.

And again I say, boa husbandry and monitor husbandry are COMPLETELY different.

Last edited by danktat; 01-24-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 PM

True Dank but you have to look at lifestyle in the wild. Snakes do not have huge home ranges like monitors or crocodilinas (hence why they are far easier to keep than the other two species) Many snakes find a micro climate with all their specific needs and stay there unless food runs out or something changes. They do not need a ton of exercise to stay in shape. Different body structures also come into play.

While I am healthy at my weight with my current diet I am no body builder. So weight does not = health. Therefore we can not stress a diet to a creature we know little about. This is why many keepers are reverting dogs back to a raw diet instead of the kibble that has been produced for decades.

Simply put we do not know enough about reptiles to determine their metabolic needs and energy requirements. Until further research can tell me exactly what nutrition and food proportions my specific reptiles need I am not going to deny them food simply because they can go with out.